Welcome New Families!
We are so excited to welcome our families this fall even if it looks different than a typical first day of school! There is more to our school than the classroom. AFS traditions are a tribute to our distinguished 300-year history. Our community and culture are enhanced by meaningful events, experiences and opportunities that provide outstanding teaching and learning.
Due to COVID-19, we are following CDC recommendations and state requirements in order to hold school safely in the fall. We will be connecting virtually with all of our new families while we await news and develop a plan for the fall 2020-2021 school year. We’ve compiled some links to key information that will help you find your way as you join the AFS community. This page will be updated over the summer, so please check back here periodically. You can always reach out to your admission representative, division director or new family parent connector with questions at any time.
Upcoming Virtual Events for New Families
Tuesday, June 2 – Middle School Orientation for Parents of Newly Enrolled Students 6 – 7 p.m., and “Cooking with C.J.” for New Middle School for Newly Enrolled Students 7 – 7:45 p.m. Email Aliyah Bullard for more information.
Wednesday, June 3 – Lower School Virtual Welcome Party, 4 p.m. Email Lindsay Newlon, to RSVP.
Thursday, June 4 – Upper School Meet & Greet, 4 – 5 p.m. Email Mary Kay Napoli for more information
All grades will have an Orientation, those dates will be available by the end of June.
Transportation, Meal Plans and the Extended Day Program
We know that these additional services are important to the school experience and family convenience. We are awaiting recommendations on how best to run each of these services for the Fall 2020-2021 school year. As soon as we have a plan that has the priority of the health and safety of our students and staff confirmed we will send out information. All of these programs require advance registration prior to the first day of school.
- Transportation is provided through school district partnership, AFS vans and SEPTA for additional fees. Students come to AFS from more than 75 zip codes in neighborhoods around the greater Philadelphia area. The AFS Transportation Office is available to help you figure out the best way for your student to safely get to and from school.
- The Extended Day Program at Abington Friends School is for students age 3 through Grade 4. The program typically takes place before and after school hours and offers a safe, fun and supportive environment to meet the needs of students and families during before and after-school hours.
- Meal Plans are optional for students in First Grade through Grade 12. (EC and K students bring their lunch to school).
- Technology and required devices for students
- Upper School Online Book Store – Book Store Directions
- Summer Reading (Available after June 1)
Other Helpful Links
- AFS Portal Log-in Page
- Lower School web page
- Middle School web page
- Upper School web page
- Summer Reading Links
- The Current Parent web page (frequently used links, news and announcements)
- SMART Tuition FAQ’s
- Athletics Information (to be updated as we receive new athletic guidelines due to COVID-19)
- AFS Campus Map
We send communications using the contact information that appears on your student’s application. If you do not begin to receive AFS emails after you enroll, please contact the Admission Office.
Our snow and emergency closing number is 360. Your profile information in the AFS portal will automatically sign you up to receive text alerts for snow closings, delayed openings and other such emergencies. Contact our IT Department with questions.
Parent to Parent Welcoming Committee
Current AFS parents will be reaching out if they haven’t already. The New Parent Committee is run similar to a “buddy system” where you are provided a current family partner within the same grade your child is entering. Our families are happy to help new families navigate the transition to a new school and can answer a variety of your questions.
If you have questions that are not covered here, please contact the Admission Office at 215-576-3950 or your School Division Office and we will find an answer for you:
Upper School: 215-576-3969
Middle School: 215-576-3953
Lower School: 215-576-3960
If you have a suggestion for a topic that should be covered here, email us and let us know.