Welcome New Families!
We are so excited to welcome our families for the 2023 – 2024 school year! Our community and culture are enhanced by meaningful events, experiences and opportunities that provide outstanding teaching and learning.
Save the Date
New Family Welcome & Social
Wednesday, August 30
6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
A social event for new families!
Back to School Family Barbecue
Friday, September 8
Details to follow.
Forms and Services
Starting on July 1 the required medical forms for new students will be made available through Magnus Health in the AFS Portal. If your child has a doctor’s appointment before July 1, you may request the form by emailing our school nurse, Rachel
Transportation, Meal Plans and the Extended Day Program
- Transportation is provided through school district partnership, AFS vans and SEPTA for additional fees. An electronic form will be available on your AFS portal shortly. It is important to submit this form whether your child will require busing or not. Please be aware that each school district contacts families differently regarding times and routes; that information is typically provided by mid-August. Philadelphia School District is offering reimbursement as a replacement to school bus service for the upcoming school year. If you have any questions, please contact the AFS Transportation Office at 215-576-3981.
- The Extended Day Program at Abington Friends School is a thoughtful after school care program with options for care and programming from 3 – 6 p.m. Registration will be available in August.
- AFS partners with CulinArt to provide meal and dining services that are simple, healthy and student-friendly. Dining service and meal plan options will be updated soon.
- Technology and required devices for students
- Required Textbooks (Available by August 1)
- Summer Reading
Other Helpful Links
- List of Important Dates 2022 -2023
- AFS Portal Log-in Page
- Lower School web page
- Middle School web page
- Upper School web page
- Health & Safety at AFS
- The Current Parent web page (frequently used links, news and announcements)
- SMART Tuition FAQ’s
- Athletics Information (to be updated as we receive new athletic guidelines due to COVID-19)
- AFS Campus Map
Notes about AFS Communications
We send communications using the contact information that appears on your student’s application. If you do not begin to receive AFS emails after you enroll, please contact the Admission Office.
See images from daily life at AFS by following along on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Our snow and emergency closing number is 360. Your profile information in the AFS portal will automatically sign you up to receive text alerts for snow closings, delayed openings and other such emergencies. Contact our IT Department with questions.
Parent to Parent Welcoming Committee
Current AFS parents will be reaching out if they haven’t already. The New Parent Committee is run similar to a “buddy system” where you are provided a current family partner within the same grade your child is entering. Our families are happy to help new families navigate the transition to a new school and can answer a variety of your questions.
If you have questions that are not covered here, please contact the Admission Office at 215-576-3950 or your School Division Office and we will find an answer for you:
Upper School: 215-576-3969
Middle School: 215-576-3953
Lower School: 215-576-3960
If you have a suggestion for a topic that should be covered here, email us and let us know.