Record: 0-0 (2023)
About the Program: AFS offers two seasons of tennis each academic year – in the fall and the spring. Historically at AFS and amongst our peer schools, the fall season has been for those players who identify as female and the spring season for those who identify as male. Gender diverse and non-binary individuals will be eligible to play in matches during the season in which they feel most comfortable doing so. Seven to ten players generally comprise the Varsity Fall Tennis ladder, competing against other schools in a 3-singles & 2-doubles format. AFS Girls (now Fall) Tennis is a charter member of the Friends Schools League, earning their first League win in May of 1982. The season begins with pre-season training in late August and concludes with post-season play in late October.
AFS Varsity Girls Tennis Most Reason Season (2022):
Captured 2022 Friends Schools League Quaker Cup Tournament Championship
- Overall record of 7-7 marked 2nd consecutive winning season.
Bella Washington-Vasquez ’23 & Lily Goldstein ’23 served as co-captains and singles’ players.
- Chloe Collet ’26 named All-Friends Schools League.
Chet Sutton completed 2nd year at helm of program after long career at St. Basil’s Academy.
- Assistant Coach Andrew Bickford has over 20 years of AFS Tennis coaching experience; is former collegiate player at Haverford College.
AFS Varsity Girls Tennis Program Highlights:
- Charter member of Friends Schools League Girls Tennis, first FSL win over Friends Select in May 1982.
- Eight FSL playoff appearances since 2002. (’02, ’03, ’04, ’08, ’09, ’10, ’11, ’12).
- Champions of inaugural Friends Schools League Quaker Cup Tournament in 2022.
- FSL runner-up in 2003.
- Recorded a .500 or better record in FSL competition 10 of 15 seasons since 2008.
- Recent graduates have continued tennis careers at Brandeis University and Gettysburg College.
|Expected Returning Players||2023 Roster to be Updated in August|