Abington Friends School
Affirmation of Collective Purpose
When exterior conditions allow, and with an extensive plan to re-imagine daily life on our campus to create the safest possible learning environment, our campus will be open for those who can choose on-campus learning for their families while offering robust connections and inclusion for those who are learning remotely.
Creating a safe and healthy experience on campus will require an unparalleled sense of collective purpose, commitment and responsibility on the part of every member of our community. In our vigilance to follow every protocol in place to mitigate transmission of the COVID-19 virus, we hold a sacred trust with each other in our behavior on campus and off campus. In affirming our commitment to the provisions below, we take responsibility for ourselves, for our families, for our faculty and staff and for the larger regional community. There is a clear scientific consensus that these protocols make a profound difference in stopping spread of the virus and that they are key to making it possible to create in-person learning this year.
Please read this Affirmation of Collective Purpose carefully as a family, whether you are a student or member of the faculty and staff, and affirm, as Friends do, that you will play your critical role in protecting each other and the AFS community.
As a member of the Abington Friends School community, I affirm the following commitments in order to do my part as a student, family member, or member of the faculty/staff to protect the entire community:
- Recognizing that administrators, teachers and staff are trained in COVID-19 protocols and are focused on maintaining everyone’s health and safety, I will readily comply with all health and safety-related instructions, including masking indoors and outdoors when not distanced, and maintaining distance at all times possible.
- AFS has established guidelines for the use of campus buildings and spaces that seek to reduce risk for the entire community. I will adhere to these guidelines and recognize that my behavior on campus affects everyone around me.
- The current COVID-19 outbreak has provoked discriminatory language and behaviors against people of certain ethnic backgrounds as well as anyone perceived to have been in contact with the virus. I will treat my peers, faculty and staff with the respect every human being deserves and not promote, participate in, or allow my own bias to impede the access and opportunity of others in my community.
- Knowing that our care and practices as a family outside of school are an integral part of the health and safety of our school community and our region, our family will practice masking when appropriate or mandated and social distancing outside of the home, be cautious about gathering with others in ways that would compromise health and comply at all times with state guidelines for whichever phase of reopening in our area.
- Recognizing that this is a stressful and challenging time for all, I will do what I can to support my peers by listening and assisting when I can. I will make efforts to be part of the solution.
Health Monitoring and Care
- I will participate in daily health screening procedures through the RUVNA app. If I have a change in my health status, I will follow the reporting protocol requirements and provide accurate and complete information.
- I will stay home if I am sick with COVID-19 symptoms or know that I have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. I will follow the protocols for isolation or quarantine if I am diagnosed with COVID-19.
- To the best of my ability, I will support my overall wellness through healthy eating, regular hydration, adequate amounts of sleep, and regular physical fitness.
Prevention and Protection
- I will bring a minimum of two approved face coverings to school every day, and I will adhere to the guidelines for wearing a face covering at all times indoors on the AFS campus.
- I will practice proper hand washing, sanitizing, and respiratory etiquette (e.g., cover my cough).
- Recognizing that strict adherence may not always be possible, I will take daily precautions to socially distance from others (six feet of social distancing, which is about two arm lengths)
- Recognizing that some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus, I will avoid crowded places and avoid mass gatherings off campus. I will practice physical distancing when meeting in smaller groups and will wear my face covering.
- I will follow the on-campus requirements (face coverings, physical distancing, etc.) when I go off campus. I will observe local city and state policies regarding face coverings and safe social distancing.
- I will comply with all local city and state non-essential travel restrictions. If I have to travel during the school year, I will notify the student’s divisional administrative assistant and recognize that AFS may ask me to quarantine for fourteen days upon my return.
- I understand that friends and family members cannot be invited to campus for any reason. I recognize that parents cannot enter school buildings unless we set an appointment beforehand and receive approval.
By upholding the practices we have outlined, I affirm the critical role I play in safeguarding the health and wellbeing of the AFS community.