Founded in 1697, Abington Friends School is the oldest school in Pennsylvania to have operated continuously on the same parcel of land, and one of the oldest schools in the nation.
In the spring of 1697, John Barnes, a member of Abington Monthly Meeting, donated 120 acres of his estate “for and towards erecting a meetinghouse for Friends and toward the maintenance of a school under the direction of Friends.”
Abington Friends School has grown in extraordinary ways since its founding as a one-room schoolhouse more than three centuries ago. Today, our dynamic teaching and learning environment includes the first interdisciplinary outdoor classroom in the state, new engineering, robotics and design labs, a multi-racial classroom pedagogy forged through a partnership with the University of Pennsylvania and much more.
Amid the changes, we have remained true to the goal of providing a powerful academic program within a community that values the ethical and spiritual tenets of Quakerism.